Followers

 Wednesday, January 10, 2007

First SBQ of 2007:

From
http://blondelibrarian.net/stitching/archives/2007/01/first-2007-sbq/ :

Do you dream of running your own LNS/ONS? If so, tell us about yourdream. If not, tell us about your cross stitch dream� maybe you dreamof designing, dyeing your own floss or fabric, etc.

I have often dreamed of running my own LNS/ONS. I think there are few stitchers out there who don't entertain the idea at least once or twice in their lifetimes. The main reason why I haven't pursued the idea is mostly becuase I know it would mean the end of my ability to stitch. To make an LNS/ONS a success, my own personal love for the craft would have to go - there wouldn't be room for it. Just ask any LNS/ONS owner - they'll tell you the same thing. To run a business of this nature and make it successful it would require a tremendous amount of devotion just to get it off the ground. To keep it profitable would be another enormous task. Would I still do it? Maybe. My main problem would be location. Where I live I'm fortunate to have 2 LNS' within a short drive (less than 20 minutes if there's no traffic) so to open another LNS would just be too much for the area. So opening a brick and mortar shop would involve a long commute or a move for my family. Neither of which I'm willing to do at this point. I do see a need for a really, really good Canadian ONS as there really isn't one. It could be made successful - there are many Canadian stitchers who would like to avoid the hassle of customs! But the idea of an ONS brings a whole other set of problems that are just too many to go into here.

So, what would my fantasy shop be like? Well, it would have to be super welcoming and friendly - a place people would want to come and touch and play! It would need a great lounge/stitching area where folks would feel comfortable plunking themselves down to stitch when the mood strikes. There would have to be a large, airy classroom with great lighting. It would have to be full-to-bursting with fabrics and fibres and patterns and accessories, natch! :-)

Oh, to dream! What a great departure from reality. Just what I needed today!

----

Stitching-wise I'm working frantically on my two models - so I can't show pictures of progress. I can say they're looking very interesting! I can't wait until they're released so I can share! In the meantime, I took a few pictures of some of the ornaments that were on my tree this year. I realized some of them have never been photographed!

On the right is a needlepoint ornament that I stitched ages ago. I think it may be the first ornament I ever stitched that actually got made into an ornament! Can't remember the designer or any information about the piece though. I guess I need to start keeping better track of these things!




The little penguin ornament is from a kit from years ago. There are a bunch more of this guys little friends that haven't been stitched. They're done on a plastic canvas-like stuff and the floss coverage isn't great, but it still makes a cute little ornament! (And, in case you're wondering, yes, there are little flags hanging on my tree - they're Danish flags and an important part of my Christmas! These flags hung on my parent's Christmas tree for as long as I can remember and now I have my own! )

2 comments:

Vonna Pfeiffer 12:42 PM  

Hi Erica!
Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I've got you on my blogroll now so I'll never miss your updates. Meanwhile I've looked through your blog and you do exceptional work!
Glad you visited me...now I can visit you!
Thanks!
Vonna :o)

Meari 10:39 PM  

I've done some ornaments on the plastic canvas. I've found that if I use three threads the coverage is pretty good, and I've never ran out of thread that came with the kit. The penguin turned out cute. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your comments! I hope you enjoyed visiting my blog!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP