Saturday, November 13, 2010
It’s rather amazing how if you get completely shaken up and uprooted in one area of your life (particularly when it is completely unexpected and through no fault of your own…), it shakes something loose in other areas…..
I’ve had a bad case of finish-itis:
Whispered by the Wind Freebie
Stitched on mystery 28-count linen
with DMC and GAST
The pattern originally called for CC Forest Fire and Dark Shadows but since I had neither on hand, I subbed GAST Burnt Orange and Raven, respectively. I started this piece over a year ago, but then stopped at the spiderwebs at the bottom. Can’t for the life of me figure out why I stopped there…. I was looking for my threads for one of the models as I had misplaced them and this project revealed itself from my WIP pile. Once I realized how little was left to finish it, I decided to polish it off. I really like this piece. I think it’ll become a flat-fold at some point.
My personal ornament-of-the-month club got a good kick-off when I found *another* project that I had started shortly after the JCS ornie preview issue came out and then tucked away somewhere….
La D Da
JCS Christmas Ornament Preview Issue
Stitched on 32-count Waterlily Linen from Wichelt
with a random Vikki Clayton Silk (unnamed)
This was such a fast and easy stitch. The Vikki Clayton Silk was one I got in a random pack of silks that I bought a couple of years ago – it has no name, but it’s the prettiest green and looks really fabulous on the Waterlily linen (I’m not a fan of Wichelt linens, but this was in my stash and was the perfect colour!)….
While at Stitching Jubilee in Lancaster, I kept seeing folks walking around wearing the coolest pin. Upon some serious questioning of folks, I discovered that it was a kit from Rosewood Manor and that you actually got to stitch something! Needless to say, I hiked over to Rosewood’s booth at a trot and picked up my own kit. It’s been yelling my name since I got home so I finally gave in and stitched it up. I don’t think it took more than a couple of hours anyway….
And a close-up of the butterfly:
Note that I had to turn the flash off to take the closeup as the case the butterfly is in kept reflecting my flash, no matter what angle I tried…. It’s stitched on silk gauze and I don’t think I would have managed it without my magnifier. Lots and lots of fun though! If you look carefully, you’ll see each wing has my initial in it. (and yes, I seem to have mounted in the frame somewhat crooked-ly – I’ll fix that shortly!)
And then because I am stressed, distressed and depressed, I dug into the sewing fabric pile and produced all of these….
5 more project bags…. The new sewing machine really makes it easier to get these done. I’m enjoying how easy it is to change threads and wind bobbins…. It’s been such a good investment and I’m so glad that this year the budget allowed for it. I’m looking forward to finishing some ornaments with it before Christmas…..
Hopefully I’ll pull out my little funk soon – I’m lucky DH and the boys all put up with me. I think I just need to have my personal pity party for a wee bit and then I’ll be back to my ‘normal’ self.
In the meantime, it’s doing wonders for my WIP Pile – I’ve got more time on my hands now than I’ve had in the last year!