Followers

Thank you

 Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The last week has been one of the worst ever.  I really, really appreciate all the kind words that I’ve received.  I was never so glad to get to the weekend as I was this past weekend.

 

Early Monday morning, my mother-in-law called to tell us that her mother had passed away.  Grandma Tice had been suffering from dementia for many years now and didn’t recognize any of us, so it really was the second time we lost her.  She was such a kind person and always welcoming of anyone who walked through the door (me included – over 20 years ago!).  I am glad she’s not suffering any longer, but it will be hard for Grandpa Tice and my mother-in-law and the rest of her siblings to live without her.

 

2008_0215Image0247

Grandma and Grandpa Tice

 

The second phone call came later that same day and it left both my DH and me shaken.

 

This is Gerrit:

 

1103ec69-51ac-492a-8e43-077987a14eec

Gerrit was one of my husband’s best friends from high school.  Here’s a picture taken in 1987, when they graduated from high school:

 

Greg & Friends002

Gerrit is in the middle in the back row.  My DH is on the left in the front row.

 

Gerrit married in 1993, while DH and I married in 1994.  Gerrit was one of our groomsmen.  In 1996, both Gerrit and his wife and DH and I had our first children.  Gerrit added to his family again in 1997, while DH and I waited until 1999.

 

Shortly before Christmas, Gerrit was diagnosed with glioblastoma.  He passed away on January 6.  He was 43 years old.

 

We’re heartbroken for his family – his wife, his children, his parents – everyone.

 

I guess the moral of the story is to remember that life is short – sometimes shorter than you can even begin to imagine.  Go hug your spouse/partner/SO and your children.  Then go make a memory with them.

5 comments:

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure 10:26 AM  

Well said.

Many hugs from CH,
Jane

Terri 11:45 AM  

So sorry for your losses! And yes, life is too short! Both of my parents suffer from Alzheimer's, but they are in the very early stages now, thank goodness!

Just remember you have a lot of friends, online and otherwise, if you need to talk.

Hugs!

Anonymous,  1:24 PM  

So sorry for your losses. Good advice - I'm off to hug my DH right now.

Rebel In Ontario 5:28 PM  

I hope that is the end of those for awhile for you...HUGS!

Blu 12:14 AM  

So sorry for your losses.
((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your comments! I hope you enjoyed visiting my blog!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP