Tuesday, September 18, 2012
Wow! It’s hard to believe that the new moon has come and gone again. The summer sure seems to have dashed by quickly!
Today it’s a bit of a grey and rainy day, but it’s hard to mind overly much when I’ve got a kitty curled by my side. Here’s my jar for this month:
There’s a few ORTs in there – but not nearly as many as I might have dropped in there. I seem to have lost a little of my needlework mojo. Although I tend to think of it more as conserving energy since the CreativFestival is coming up in less than a month. 5 days of classes, shopping and fun with friends I only get to see once a year. This year will be even better for me since I had to miss last year’s Festival.
I did have a small finishing-finish this past month:
This is a biscornu I started ages and ages ago after I won a drawing over at ‘The Sparklie Things Blog’ (still one of my favourite blog names of all time!). I won the linen, the Kreinik, the WDW and the buttons – beautifully handmade by Karen herself….. I stitched up the biscornu quite a while ago but got stalled on the putting-it-together part. I kept forgetting to buy stuffing. Finally I got my act together and my butt in gear and got it finished. I’m really happy with how it turned out.
So I mentioned last month how much of a menace I am to wool and all things knitterly….. Well, I decided it was time to buckle down and get serious about things. I’ve been trying to knit a pair of socks for ages and failing miserably. I tried different patterns, different needles, different wool……. Apparently I am the problem. But I persevered and look what came off the needles a couple of weeks ago:
Look! A sock! It’s got a ton of flaws and mistakes in it (and I genuinely suck at picking up the heel stitches), but it’s the first thing that I’ve knitted that looks sock-like. And I can even get it on my foot. I still recall another sock that I could barely get on my foot…..
Flushed with the success of sock 1, I elected to see if lightning could strike twice and miracle of miracles, it did:
They are actually the same colour – the picture is a bit off. I am amazed that I’ve got a pair of socks that actually fit. Far from perfect, but for my first successful sock knitting attempt, I’m not going to complain too much. I just won’t wear them where anyone who can knit can actually see them. I’m not that dumb.
If anyone is interested, the pattern is a freebie I found on Ravelry called Dragonfly Socks. I think I may not have made the best wool/pattern match up here, but I’m still happy with the result. And they’re finished.
Naturally, in honour of all this finishing going on, I immediately started something new:
This is a start on Mirabilia’s Halloween Fairy. It’s a limited edition kit that I picked up quite a while ago when I found it on sale for a great price. I’m getting in the mood for Halloween right now, so out she came. I’ve wanted to stitch her for so long!
Anyway, I think I’ll go stitch for a bit. I’ve got to get some things done for work as things are gearing up for me in that arena, but I think I need a little me time. I’ve been spending days and days counting beads, sorting pipecleaners, counting paperwork & bookmarks and just getting a million little jobs done. All this work now will pay off later when I’m super busy again.